Sunday 13 October 2013

Sci-fi typography


Sci-fi typography

As I have chosen to base my poster on early 20th century sci-fi I wanted to examine the typography used on the existing sci-fi movie posters. I am required to create a tagline and/or title so must explore the different fonts and type faces available from early sci-fi which I can apply to my poster. 
I have discovered key trends in the typography of different poster. Below is a collage of sci-fi movie poster's titles which I have put together.





As you can see the titles of the movie posters are typically always typed in capital letters. This is done to convincingly put across the title of movie so the viewer is inclined to remember the title, it is bold and in your face. To create my sci-fi influenced poster I will also ensure my taglines and titles are in capital letters.
Another feature I noticed is that the movie titles, depending on where they are placed, are always scaled. The scaling in each poster is different, and some of them also appear to be on an angle, but typically they are never straight and with the same sized letters. I will also include this in my poster to create an original sci-fi style.


No comments:

Post a Comment