Tuesday 21 January 2014

Short film examples

As it is early into the assignment I thought the best thing to do is look for some inspiration and ideas. I kind of had an idea of how the filming style would be and the cuts that would be required. From this I remembered a great TV advert which featured fast cutting and a variety of shots. The advert was from PG Tips showing a cup of tea being made after arriving home:



PG Tips
This is a great short film as it shows the journey of an activity in a short period of time. Although the film simply shows the progression of making cups of tea, this film is very effective as it uses different camera shots and angles and therefore makes it dynamic. Also I really enjoyed the cartoon like sound effects as it gives the advert a lighthearted humorous tone, in particular the duck squeaks as the man puts the slippers on. This advert has given me some ideas however you may notice that the clip is a slower pace as it 40 seconds which will be different from my short film as its only 20 seconds.


Edgar Wright
I also thought of other clips which have fast cuts in them and immediately remembered the film Hot Fuzz. In this film there are a number of scenes which have a series of shots recorded in a fast cut style. I then released, from watching the other films, that many of the director Edgar wright's films have this distinct editing technique. These include the film starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost which are Shaun of the Dead and The World's End. Below are some clips from the movies that show fast cut scenes.


Hot Fuzz fast cut

I really like this style of editing as it energetic and engaging to watch. The speed of the cuts is going to be similar to my film as it needs to be fast also the sound effects help increase the excitement. The series of shots recorded are often very close up which is a great feature as it assists in emphasising the fast action. Overall I believe this editing style would work very well in my short film.








No comments:

Post a Comment